Thursday, March 31, 2011

     This time last year I was interesting. I wasn't sitting in bed, streaming 5 year old TV shows on my laptop, waiting to go out and pay money for a movie I'm not even particularly excited about. I was out doing things, seeing things. I was the one making witty facebook posts about strange grocery items, not glumly reading about everyone else's college tours while I wait for Zumba class to start. I was haggling with flea market entrepreneurs for a scarf I later noticed was "Made in Thailand". I was wandering around the Prado, standing on tiptoe to see H. Bosch's "Garden". That was where I bought this postcard of one of my favorite paintings. It's by El Greco and is called Fábula, referring to the flame that middle figure is holding. I love this picture, it is wonderful. I never have been one for beautiful people, flawless skin, perfect symmetry. The man in the red hat has atrocious teeth, the person holding the flame seems albino, and the one on the far left is, well, positively ape-like. I like it because of the fire, drawing in all three to the flickering light, outshining all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment